Monday, July 11, 2011

Allure Day 3

Allure Day 3: Reaching for the Gateway Point. By Bill Megowan

July 11, 2011 1300 hours. Currently in 3rd place SC 50 class.

I have always considered myself a pretty good sailor. But when you make your first ocean crossing, especially in a Transpac Race, you learn that you still have a lot to learn. Trying to get the hang of steering this boat with all the variables of true and apparent wind angles and speed, mixed with the challenges of the wind and waves in the open Pacific is a real challenge. Add to that, doing it at night with the running lights and instruments being the only thing visible to your eyes. Trying to sleep with the water rushing by at 15 knots right next to your head. Trying to keep anything down with a 40 degree heel in pitching seas. You learn you're not as tough as you thought you were. I am indeed fortunate to be sailing this race with six Transpac veterans, who I also consider to be my good friends.

We spent yesterday afternoon and this morning reaching toward our "gateway" point: A spot on the chart that represents the optimal position for crossing the high pressure ridge and entering the preferred "slot". That being the track under the high which represents the sweet spot in the trade winds and the fastest route to Hawaii, given the current weather predictions. At first it was almost a beam reach with our sturdy 6A kite in 20-25 knot winds . A wild ride for sure with even the best helmsmen on board suffering regular round ups every half hour or so. As the winds have dropped and gone aft, we have progressively switched to our larger and lighter #4 spinnaker and then to our even larger and lighter #2 Currently we are enjoying a rather pleasant afternoon off the wind, but don't be fooled. Everyone is racing their butts off on this boat.

"Allure" is fast and furious on the race course. An E ticket ride for sure. The Santa Cruz 50 is famous for many things, including the fact that it does not go over waves. Instead, it punches through them like a hot knife through butter. The decks are almost always awash, and everyone on deck wears a safety harness at all times. Below decks, she is like most race boats: noisy, leaky, and somewhat smelly. But she is very well stocked and quite comfy.

Al, our navigator, works round the clock with the computer, iridium files, weather charts and Expedition software trying to get us to the right place at the right time. We have a couple boats ahead of us at the moment, but we have a strategy and with any luck, we'll reel them in.

The skipper, Jim Morgan, has more sea miles on this boat than you can count. Our watch captains, Jim Barber and Tom Jorgensen, are eagerly tweaking and working the boat, while taking time to coach the rest of us. Eric is our workhorse on the foredeck and without him, we would be up a creek.

I am dedicating my participation in this race to my late parents, who gave me the gift of sailing, starting with the first time they put me in a wooden sabot on Balboa Island when I was 5. And they loved Hawaii like no place else on earth. I know they are with me every mile.

Yes, Robbie, the stars are magnificent out here, when you can see them through the overcast. We'll have a full moon later this week. The open ocean is truly awesome. To all of my family, I love you and miss you.

Aloha, Gowie

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

5 comments:

  1. Hi Dad! I keep telling all my friends about you sailing across the pacific, everyone agrees that it's pretty cool. It sounds like you are having an amazing adventure. Probably makes all those BSA high adventure treks we did look tame. I wish I could be there with you. Who knows, maybe one day I'll get to do it too. I hope you are well, and I love you and miss you a lot. Alex says hello, he's very excited for you as well! We both hope you have a little time to shoot some video. Well, beware of Sirens, but if you see any, take pictures.
    Love you!
    xoxo
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad,
    We miss you here at home but we are doing alright. A few days ago before you left I had wanted to tell you something but time slipped away from me and before I knew it you were waving goodbye as I watched from the dock. I wanted to say that I am so proud to be your son. Even when we are far apart I always keep you and all of the lessons that you have taught me close to my heart. Thanks for being the best role model a son could ask for.
    Robbie
    P.S. don't worry about the sirens - it's the local Hawaiian girls that'll get you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what the heck are iridium files? they sound cool but all i can get when i google them is chapter 11 bankruptcy of some company in 1999? please explain... maybe when Al blogs he can give a little PC breakdown of some of his systems at work on Allure for us techie/geekier followers! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man you guys took a hitch south last night!!

    A stroke of genius. I smell the blood of a sailor who got hung up north once and watched the fleet pass him by. Could that be Tommy? Were I there, I would be totally on board. The projected wind looks good. Hopefully it won't clock too far too fast.

    Don't forget to sail hard! Has anyone thrown Calhoun over the side, yet?

    BW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim B. Miss you and know you are having a blast! I am hoping that you hit the trades real soon. And then you will be sailing fast! The updates are very fun and everyone is enjoying keeping track of you.
    xxo's ADB

    ReplyDelete